Executive Career CoachingFor Private Pay Clients
ACCELERATE YOUR CAREER TRAJECTORY
Lynn Dessert offers individual executive and career coaching by phone or Zoom video conferencing to a select number of clients. Her clients pay for the services directly. Lynn is based Charlotte, NC and is available to meet in person at her office.
WHY USE A CAREER COACH?
There are several situations where executive and career coaching can make a significant difference, especially if career progression is a top priority.
Career coaching is appropriate if you are employed, starting a new job or you are currently out of work. Each situation has a unique set of challenges. Here are real life situations where clients have sought out Lynn Dessert for career coaching (expand clicking the plus sign):
Career Coaching for Currently Employed
If you are currently employed you may have noticed that organizations are doing less employee development. For good reason, organizations are reducing the number of top jobs and the investment in employee development at the lower levels is not paying off. Employees who receive development believe they are ready for promotions and when the organization can not comply, they leave.
Bottom line: Companies invest in programs that provide ROI. If there is a chance that you might leave, there is no incentive for them to develop you.
The savvy executive or executive-in-training takes personal responsibility for their own development. It may mean staying in your current organization and maximizing internal development opportunities or leaving to advance your career.
If you want to remain in the organization, Lynn’s executive background in Human Resources gives you the tools to position yourself for advancement by having the right conversations with the people who can become your advocate. Company politics still reigns in many organizations and if you are new to it, having an executive career coach who understands the implications can prevent you from making a career miss-step.
Perhaps you are thinking about doing something different? You may have reached a point in your life where you have the liberty and financial freedom to pursue something you are passionate about. The questions are: What is it? How can I make it work? Lynn helps executives figure out the answers to these questions. The executives who plan in advance make easier career transitions—is that you?
Career Coaching during Transitions
You landed a job in a new company. You might be excited and a little scared about it. Are these some of the questions you are asking yourself?
- Will I be successful?
- How can I become more comfortable with meeting new people?
- How do I integrate myself into the new organization?
- What will be different?
- How can I prepare myself?
- What are the most important things I should do in your first 30, 60, and 90 days?
- How will I be judged?
- What are the career miss-steps I can avoid?
- What is the best way of communicating with my new boss?
- Have I left all my work baggage behind?
- What assumptions am I making about the new organization?
- Do I have some career limiting behaviors that might get in the way of being successful?
These are some of the questions Lynn Dessert works through with clients who have accepted new employment and want to be successful with the job on-boarding process. It is common for someone to work with her during the job hunt process and then continue their coaching sessions once they begin a new position.
There is a direct relationship between being successful and continuing to work for a new employer and addressing many of the questions proactively. When clients who have needed this coaching short-changed this step, the results can be very disturbing, such as an immediate loss of job.
Career Coaching for Unemployed
Career coaching is sought out at two pivotal points: when you are first laid off or after you have been out of work for a significant time.
There may be a strong need to get back to work quickly because of financial constraints such as you are the majority income producer or there are health insurance concerns. Financial constraints or pride may influence not using a coach, however, the longer you are out of work there are often more hurdles to overcome.
It has become more important to be aggressive about moving to your next job because employers may see you becoming stale as time passes without employment.
Here are some of the reasons a career coach may help make a difference:
- Navigating the job market alone is daunting, especially if you are an introvert who wants to avoid networking groups.
- Deep down you know your termination was for a good reason—your performance may have been the culprit or you had a bad relationship with your boss.
- Holding yourself accountable for results is difficult; you achieve more when you have to report your progress.
- It is easy to become distracted with too much information and sometimes conflicting advice confuses you.
- You crave structure and a process to get things done efficiently.
- There is uncertainty in your current career choice and you want to know if there are other options.
- You are applying to everything and are not going after the right job or company.
- At the interview stage, everything falls apart.
- Your personal confidence is shot.
ASSESSMENTS USED IN CAREER COACHING
Do you want to learn more about the assessment commonly used in career coaching? See how each assessment gives you valuable information to aid your decision-making process. These are two assessments are used frequently in career coaching sessions:
The Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument (HBDI) provides feedback on how your thinking style. Why is that important? Making career choices and decisions can be stressful and knowing how you approach your decision making process can improve your outcomes. Additionally, Lynn has developed an methodology to assist you in interview preparation.
PRIVATE EXECUTIVE CAREER COACH PACKAGES
There are four ways to work with Lynn Dessert, PCC privately on your career goals. You can choose which coaching package works for your specific situation based on where you are at today, what outcomes you have set for yourself and how fast you want to get there. As a general guideline:
- The Power Coaching Session is a focused on a single issue with an immediate outcome.
- The Interview Skills Coaching Package focuses on improving your confidence and skills for interviewing successfully.
- The Starter Package is designed for reaching short-term outcomes.
90 MInute Power Coaching Session
To be honest, sometimes it only takes one session to solve a problem or figure out an issue. That’s why I created the 90 Minute Power Coaching session.
A 90 Minute Power Coaching Session does not use baseline assessments to examine personal behaviors or work through a complicated situation. It is designed to offer a confidential sounding board to explore additional resources, approaches, or perspectives while you tackle the problem on your own. You have my attention for the full 90 minutes either in person, by phone or via Skype.
To get the most out of your session:
- You set the agenda ahead of time by sending me your burning question.
- You tell me what you need: a coach or adviser. I am comfortable with either role or a combination of both.
It is easy to set up a session. No contracts or agreements are required.
The 90 Minute Power Coaching Session is offered to individuals who are seeking career and work related coaching or advice. This offer does not apply to company sponsored coaching or development programs.
Interview Skills Coaching Program
Effective interviewing is one of the most stressful aspects of landing your next job. It is an underutilized skill and is critical to landing your next job or career move. Consider the Interview Skills Coaching Program if you are experiencing:
- Low self-confidence
- Difficulty answering questions
- Not knowing what to ask
- Lack of rapport with the interviewer
We work on each of these triggers that cause stress during the interview in three sessions. One of the main reasons you do not feel confident is you don’t feel control in the interview. We’ll discuss how to change that around during the three sessions. Here’s the breakdown:
Interview Coaching Session 1
Prior to the first session, take the Herrmann Brain Dominace Instrument (HBDI) assessment and receive your feedback at the first session. The HBDI assessment identifies your steady and stress states and helps us craft your personal solution. After this session, you’ll know enough about your personal make-up to do the homework – developing killer questions and preparing responses that addresses your strengths and blind spots.
Interview Coaching Session 2
Review of your homework and building rapport skills through refinement and practice.
Interview Coaching Session 3
This session is devoted to what’s most important to you – role-playing an interview, concentrating on rapport skills or refining your questions and answers.
Note: Additional sessions available if you want to focus more deeply on a particular area.
Starter Coaching Package
The types of coaching outcomes from previous clients includes:
- Exploring career options and finding a career to be passionate about
- Making a decision to stay or leave an employer
- Successfully transitioning or job on-boarding into a new company
- Developing decision-making skills to make better career choices
- Crafting a personal development plan aligned with career goals
- Stabilizing employment at current employer
- Exploring options for post-retirement
- Focusing on value add job search activities
- Improving interviewing skills
Power Coaching SessionOne Session
Interview Skills Coaching4 Sessions
- 4 – One Hour Coaching Sessions
- Herrmann Brain Dominance Assessment + Feedback included
Starter Coaching PackageThree month coaching program
- 7 – One Hour Coaching Session
- Herrmann Brain Dominance Assessment or Strong Interest Inventory Assessment + Feedback included
I worked with Lynn a while back and sought her out to help with deciding on a career move. Her thoughtful insights, thought-provoking toolset and calm demeanor helped me focus on what was important and to prepare for a number of challenging meetings and interviews.
Without her guidance I would have had a much more difficult time in making the right decisions. The time I spent with her and the tools she provided were invaluable in helping me see through the clutter and distractions!Justin Laird
What You Can Do Today
Take ownership of your own career and invest in your future. If you continue to wait for your organization or someone else to do it for you, it may never get done.
If you live near Charlotte, NC you can meet Lynn at her office. Alternatively, she works by phone or Zoom video conferencing. Why not take advantage of Lynn Dessert’s experience and insight when making key decisions about your career?